Mr. Bhakar focuses his practice on intellectual property matters with an emphasis on patents and computer related technologies. In addition to patent litigation, Mr. Bhakar has extensive experience in technology transactions and patent prosecution.
Mr. Bhakar has represented a wide spectrum of clients in a number of patent infringement matters including Sony Computer Entertainment America, Apple, Facebook, eBay, LeapFrog, Roku, Konami Digital Entertainment, PINC Solutions, HighJump, Kirkland’s Stores, Flowers Foods, MediaTek, ChipMOS Technologies, ASUSTeK, Pegatron, and FIC, among others. Mr. Bhakar’s experience extends across several technologies including computer hardware and software, user interfaces, gaming, social networks, e-Commerce, logistics, Internet and network architectures, fiber optics, optical storage, wireless communication systems, encryption, bio-informatics, semiconductor design and fabrication, as well as medical devices and various mechanical and bio-mechanical technologies.
Mr. Bhakar is a registered patent attorney and has prosecuted patents in a wide range of technical arts. Mr. Bhakar also served as an interim patent prosecution counsel for a Silicon Valley semiconductor EDA company. Mr. Bhakar has provided due-diligence counseling on intellectual property issues for several Silicon Valley companies and conducted patent due diligence as underwriter’s counsel on several initial public offerings. Mr. Bhakar has spoken at numerous seminars and conferences on a various intellectual property issues including internet and business method patents, patent valuation and intellectual capital.
Mr. Bhakar received a J.D. from William Mitchell College of Law and received his B.S. from University of Minnesota. Mr. Bhakar is admitted to practice in California, Minnesota and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Litigation counsel in defense of patent claims brought against customers of a yard management software system (DDEL, CDTN, MDGA)
- Litigation counsel in defense of patent claims brought against the remote controls of Internet streaming media devices (ITC)
- Litigation counsel in defense of patent claims regarding graphical user interfaces of products of a major smartphone and computer company (EDTX)
- Litigation counsel in defense of patent claims regarding HSPA telecommunications technology for a major smartphone company (EDTX)
- Litigation counsel in defense of patent claims regarding a biotechnology system and process for converting renewable sugars, biomass and other materials into specific industrial chemicals (SDCA)
- Litigation counsel in defense of patent claims regarding network storage systems for a major social network (DDEL)
- Litigation counsel in defense of patent claims regarding messaging services of a major social network (EDNY)
- Litigation counsel in defense of patent claims concerning an e-Commerce suggestion system brought against a major Internet auction site. (DDEL)
- Litigation counsel in defense of multi-district patent litigation regarding logistics patents (DDEL, NDILL, WDWI, EDTX, SDTX, EDCA, NDCA)
- Litigation counsel pursuing multiple patents involving 3GPP UMTS/HSPA telecommunication technology (NDTX)
- Litigation counsel in defense of multi-patent case regarding the operation of optical disk drives (WDWI)
- Litigation counsel in defense of patent claims on accelerometers used in gaming controllers (EDTX)
- Litigation counsel in defense of patent and trade secret claims regarding alleged defects in floppy disk controllers (DUT)
- Litigation counsel in defense of multi-patent claims over Super I/O controllers (DWY, NDCA)
- Litigation counsel in defense of claims over semiconductor packaging technology (NDCA)
- Litigation counsel pursuing multiple patents on behalf of a Japanese video game company against a US-based multimedia company and video game designer (EDTX and DMASS)
- Litigation counsel in defense of a patent involving disc discrimination techniques for optical disc drives (EDTX)
- Litigation counsel in defense of a patent involving de-skewing and de-speckling technology (EDTX)
- Litigation counsel pursuing a business method patent in the credit card services industry (EDTX)
- Litigation counsel in defense of consolidated patent litigation regarding six patents involving cache coherency, host bus and PCI bus arbitration, and partitioned memory techniques (NDCA)
William Mitchell College of Law
J.D. 1994 cum laude
University of Minnesota
- US Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- US District Courts (Northern California, Eastern California, Southern California, Eastern Texas)
- US Patent and Trademark Office